We, the staff at Fairview Middle School are dedicated to creating a community that encourages academic achievement, personal growth and positive self-expression for the leaders of tomorrow.
What is a highly capable student? Our program defines these students as learners who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences and environment. Characteristics of these academically advanced students include the capacity and willingness to:
- Learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned and to transfer learning to new situations;
- Deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
- Make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
- Learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength; and
Concentrate and focus intensely.
We offer highly capable services for students who demonstrate both aptitude and achievement in verbal and/or quantitative skill areas. There is a process to identify and retain students who will benefit the most from CKSD highly capable services.
If you think this program might be right for your child, please talk with your child's teacher.
Fairview teacher employ many methods to differentiate the instruction for gifted learners within the classroom to target each student's individual needs. We use some of these methods to tailor learning to each student:
- Curriculum compacting: Adjusting curriculum to challenge students who may already know a skill or understand a concept
- Small group instruction
- Building self-advocacy skills
- Literature circles
For required courses, we offer several honors options, as well as electives.
Learn more about Central Kitsap School District's program options.
Learn more on ckschools.org about:
If you have any questions, contact our Highly Capable coordinator, Kathleen Davis at 360-662-2655. Or call Student Services at 360-662-1677.
Additional Resources for Highly Capable Education